Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Terrifying

One of my few issues is that I am able to give myself anxiety attacks by thinking of horrible things. From time to time events trigger me to think of the unthinkable.

For example almost 5 years ago a little girl named Samantha Runnion was kidnapped, sexually abused, and murdered not to far from where I live. The crime was and is sooooo horrific to this day I cannot see her face without crying. She was so beautiful and innocent and the most evil thing happened to her. From this time on I have never forgot her and the anxiety I have from this event has been transferred to my children. I am soooo aware of where they are. I do let my boys play out front but they have to stay in front of the window. They have been drilled over and over to not talk to a stranger and when someone comes walking by they run to the screen door and call me. Or sometimes they yell "Stanger stranger" which I am sure the innocent people walking home from school love. Anyway I am probably what most consider over protective and living in a bubble.

Then the story of Adam Walsh. An innocent little boy who was mutilated and to this day they haven't found all of his remains. So horrifying. Just playing at video game center in a Sears, then gone forever. His parents having to live with just finding his head and not knowing how he died or how scared he must have been. And his case never saw a conviction. So no closure.

Then recently a family was driving on a local highway and a truck slammed into the back of them, killing all 3 of their children. In one minute a family of 5 to childless.

I honestly do not know how these parents go on. How they wake up? How they face each day? How they deal with the knowledge that their children died horrible painful evil deaths. I don't know how it is possible. I don't think I could. I think I would go insane or catatonic. It would be too much.

Which brings me to the question I sometimes ask myself. What have I opened myself up to by having these kids? I love them with all my heart. They are the most precious people on the planet to me. And they could be gone in an instant. And my life as I know it would be over. I don't want to be too over protective, but I also don't want to make a mistake and know I could have prevented something horrible. Maybe I am making my children live in a bubble but how can I not knowing all the horrible things that are possible. How do you hear stories like this and not have it affect you or the way you watch your children?

Links to the above stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Runnion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Walsh

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/local/ladera/article_1689533.php

5 comments:

Jess said...

OMG I am the same way. You know I have actually cried and have pleaded with God not to ever take my kids, this has actually kept me up at night. I have no advice because I am just like you!!

Dina said...

I think EVERY MOM feels this way. that's why were the MOM!! I too cannot look at little girls ( I guess cuz that's what I have) and KNOW THAT THEY WERE TORTURED, screaming for MOMMY...It's HORRIBLE. I DO BELIEVE IN GOD, but I can't quite see how a loving GOD can let this happen. but only to KNOW ...IT'S NOT FROM GOD....whoever has done these unthinkable crimes are running with the DEVIL. All you can do is THEE BEST you can at teaching your kids about these "bad people" and pray for wisdom for your kids that when or IF they ever come across this situation....TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE!!! Your such a good mom, I don't feel like your putting them in a bubble....the world is sooo corruppted these days..keep your protection, until they can make their "own" decisions!! thats what were there for!

Anonymous said...

Oh Annalisa I spend hours sometimes reading stories like this driving myself LOCA, and crying and crying.... But I've actually tried to stop doing it because I was making myself crazy. I know personally I could not go on if something like that were to happen, I would have to die too.. It's so sad, and my heart will always ache for those poor parents. That being said, your a good mommy and you care.. Your doing the best you can do and the rest is just not in your hands.

Pam said...

I am the same way, I am so bad that I swore we weren't coming back from my honeymoon alive. Now with kids it is even worse. When I read stories like that I just want to hug my kids and not let go.

Dina said...

I clicked on the family that lost 3 kids and got way into the family photo ( mY GOD THOSE KIDS WERE BEAUTIFUL!!!) AND I cant STOP thinking of them. 2 days later I was at the bank, my husband ran in...I was left alone listening to the radio, and I imagined myself as that mom hearing this song, of missing, loving something that was now gone...I think I had a nervous breakdown. I cried for 20 min. straight. My husband came back and was like OMG WHAT HAPPENED?? I tried to tell him I was thinking of that family and he just held me in the parking lot. (that kind of thing affects him too). Puts your petty stuff in perspective...there are REAL PROBLEMS OUT THERE...