Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Grass


My boys are so sensitive. Sometimes this is a bad thing and can drive us to the brink of meltdown. Other times their sensitivity leads us to observing things in a different way. Today my husband tore up the back lawn so we can get new grass. The old grass was scratchy and full of weeds. Anyway we are also cementing the side yard so we can put the camping trailer on the side of the house instead of the driveway. Michael comes in crying. I ask him what is wrong and he says he misses the grass. I at first start to laugh and then realize he is very serious. He says the old grass was perfect for making animals and he's played on it his whole life. He was right, I couldn't argue. I tried to calm him down with dreams of the new grass and how green and soft it would be. But he was still sad. Tonight when I put him to bed, he said he was gonna dream of the old grass cuz he missed it. I gave him a kiss and told him sweet dreams. As I was walking down stairs I thought about it and realized he had every right to be a little sad. A part of his everyday history was gone. So lets all take a moment in honor of the old grass and yard which served us well for 6 and 1/2 years.

Playing on the old grass last Summer.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are so handsome... My lil brother was always sensitive when we were kids, actually still is and he's 23!!! haha

Dina said...

Hi,I came across your blog through another fellow blogger "becoming a new yorker". I read your blog and can relate to alot....being a mom is such a "confusing" title. you love them, do anything for them, put up with them ( including the husbands..that's a whole other subject) and you feel you lost "YOU". all these changes, grass, no grass...seems small, but to a child it's life memories.
Keep up the good work ( I only have 1 kid, I give you big kudos for raising 3!!) your kids are adorable!!

Aloha,
Dina

Lauren said...

Wow, I didn't realize you started blogging again! I'm way behind!

Your story about your son being upset about the grass is just adorable! Kids are amazing sometimes.

Jess said...

POOR BABY! I see Mikey being that way he can be sensitive sometimes.

Anonymous said...

where are uuuuuuuuuuuuuu